The Lifespan of a Dental Filling
How long do tooth fillings last?
Dental fillings are a common oral health procedure.
Part of the reason tooth fillings are so common is that the issue that they are used to address is: cavities.
A tooth filling can prevent a cavity (or small crack) from worsening and requiring a root canal.
So, how long do fillings last?
How Long Do Teeth Fillings Last?
There are several potential materials modern dentists use for tooth filling.
Overall, all tooth fillings are fairly durable and can last for roughly 10 years. Here’s a more detailed breakdown based on material:
- Resin: Natural-looking material, but it only tends to last 5-7 years.
- Silver: The lifespan for silver tooth fillings is 10-15 years.
- Gold: These may not be the most discreet, but they can last 15- 30 years.
- Ceramic: Porcelain and ceramic fillings are now the standards because of their very natural appearance. Additionally, they can last over 15 years.
Tips for Making Tooth Fillings Last Longer
Here are some tips:
- Use a night mouth guard to fight bruxism and preserve your filings.
- Use a sports mouthguard during any risky activities.
- Brush twice a day and floss daily to keep your teeth clean.
- Visit the dentist regularly for a teeth cleaning and dental exam.
So we hope you have understood how long do tooth fillings last. For more information schedule your appointment now for a tooth filling at Quintessence Dental Clinic in Bangalore! We are the best dental hospital in Bangalore and you can get the best dentist in Bangalore.